New Scriptures

This morning I finished re-reading/listening to the first book in The Work and the Glory series by Gerald Lund. As I was reading it, I got to the section close to the end where they discuss the announcement that the first copies of The Book of Mormon was available to purchase at the Grandin book store. They were so excited. They dropped everything and ran into town to pick up their copy. One of the main characters bought 3 copies, one for himself, one for his mother and one for the girl he wanted to marry who was adamantly opposed to Joseph Smith and his teachings. It was so neat to read about the excitement surrounding the first copies of the book.

 As I finished the book, pondering on the excitement I realized that I was eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new scriptures. They were supposed to arrive yesterday. So every time a knock at the door came, I jumped excited that my scriptures were finally arriving! I was disappointed late last night to get an update saying the delivery was being pushed back til the next day... all day today I waited for the fed ex truck to come and knock on my door. At about 1:00, I went out and got the mail, hoping I would find it on my porch. Around 1:15, I got an email saying my package had been delivered. I literally jumped out of my seat, barely getting my computer off my lap and ran to the door. I was so excited to find them sitting there.

 I have not been the best with studying my scriptures in the past, I mentioned that in my last post. But I am so excited to have my new scriptures in hand. As I pulled them out and examined them, I felt like I can in some small way understand their joy to get their hands on their first copies of the Book of Mormon. I can't imagine not having this book in my life. I am so excited to throw a lot of time into studying these new scriptures. Studying the life of Christ and learning ways I can bring my own life closer to my Heavenly Father.

It also amazes me, as I think back on the first copies of The Book of Mormon, that we now have the it available immediately on any internet ready device.  We can visit LDS.org and read it anytime we want.  It is available in at least 110 languages and sent to people all over the world.  The publisher worried that the first 5000 wouldn't sell and now, as of 2011, there were over 150 million copies published world wide.   Missionaries for the church carry paper copies with them to hand out to anyone that will take one.  We are a part of a 15 Million+ membership throughout the world.   If you would like your own free copy of the Book of Mormon, you can request one here.

Comments

Popular Posts